Motorcycle Safety Tips
During annual motorcycle event weeks, Volusia County welcomes a tremendous number of motorcycle riders. Due to the high influx of visitors and crowded streets, many motorcycle accidents can occur during this event. As a result, it is important to take precautions when riding a motorcycle in every situation! Below are a few tips anyone can take to help the prevention of motorcycle accidents:
- Seek proper training. Learning to drive a motorcycle is different than that of automobiles, and drivers can take special training classes in order to learn proper ways of handling the machine. For class information, please visithttp://www.floridasafety.org/ and follow the “course list” link.
- Abide by normal road regulations. Laws related to speed, passing and stopping (to name a few) apply to all drivers, including motorcyclists.
- Use safety gear. If a motorcyclist is involved in an accident, wearing safety gear may help to prevent or reduce the amount of injury they may sustain. Such gear can include helments, heavy jackets, boots and gloves.
- Make yourself visible. Automobile drivers may claim that motorcyclists are often “hidden” from their sight, making it easier to result in a collision with them. To help avoid this, motorcyclists can help make themselves more noticeable by using headlamps, staying in the middle of the lane, riding with a group of other bikes and wearing brightly colored clothing.
- Abide by Florida Helmet Law. In Florida, you are required to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle if you are under the age of 21. If you are 21 or older, you do not have to wear one as long as you have purchased at least $10,000 in health insurance coverage.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, motorcycle helmet use has been increasing in the past five years. Usage rose from 48 percent in 2005 to 67 percent in 2009.
If you or a loved one have been involved in a motorcycle crash, you can always seek legal help from a motorcycle attorney. A lawyer who is knowledgeable in the laws governing motorcycle crashes and negligence can help you receive the financial restitution you deserve because of someone else’s negligence.
The Daytona motorcycle attorneys at Rue & Ziffra, have handled numerous motorcycle crash cases and have the knowledge and experience to help victims of motorcycle accidents through tough legal processes.
The above entry is NOT LEGAL ADVICE and should not be intended or construed as such. It is intended only as general information. No individual reading it should act upon it. Reading this entry does not create any relationship between Rue & Ziffra and individuals reading it. If you have questions or concerns, please seek professional legal counsel.