Orange City is located in Volusia County, Florida just minutes south of DeLand. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.2 square miles; 6.1 square miles of it is land and 0.1 square miles of it is water. In relation to surrounding areas, Orange City sits southwest of Daytona Beach and New Smyrna Beach and northeast of Orlando.
Orange City was originally founded by Dr. Seth French In 1874, when he and six friends purchased about 5,000 acres of land there. Until this time no one had occupied the land since 1820, when its first inhabitants (the Timucua Indians) became extinct due to disease and war.
After the land became occupied, more settlers started arriving and commerce began to emerge. Shortly after, in 1875, the first hotel was built by H. H. DeYarman which still exists today. Also during this time of prosperity, Orange City erected a public school, which became the first public school in Volusia County.
After town officials saw that the city could attract residents and prosper, Orange City was officially incorporated as a city in 1882. When it came time to pick a name for the area, officials grabbed the idea from the thousands of acres of orange groves that were planted in and around the area.
The city built its official Town Hall in 1928, at a cost of $20,000 and established its own Historic District. In 2002, the district was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Today, Orange City has been steadily growing in both economic and business opportunities. According to the City of Orange City’s website, “the city’s greatest strength is its community’s strong support of business and industry.” This means Orange City prides itself on being responsive to business needs and proactive about attracting future economic endeavors. Orange City has also joined with the Volusia County Department of Economic Development to work to support and retain businesses that are already established as well as recruit the right kind of employers to its community.
The city also maintains a central location between two metropolitan areas, with easy access to airports, railroad and major highways, such as Interstate 4. With new development and maintaining a prime location, Orange City has emerged as a regional marketplace for business activities.
Among the corporations and professional buildings located in Orange City are Florida Hospital – Fish Memorial, TG Lee Foods and Universal Packaging and Machine Corporation. Between its prime locations for commercial activity as well as its historical sites and nature parks (about 65 acres), Orange City has a little bit of everything to offer individuals in Southwestern Volusia County.