At Rue & Ziffra take pride in being New Smyrna Beach lawyers serving the citizens of Volusia and Flagler Counties. At our law offices we will provide every client with a dedicated and experienced New Smyrna Beach attorney.
New Smyrna Beach is a coastal community nestled along the shores of the Indian River in Volusia County. It's located on the central east coast of Florida, completely surrounded by bodies of water; the Atlantic Ocean to the east, the Intracoastal Waterway to the west and Mosquito Lagoon in between the two. The city is approximately 38 square miles in size and is just north of Cape Canaveral with easy access to both Interstate 95 and Interstate 4.In location to surrounding cities, New Smyrna is west of DeLand, north of Edgewater and south of Port Orange, Florida.
New Smyrna Beach was first established as a colony in 1768 by Dr. Andrew Turnbull, a Scottish physician and entrepreneur. It is claimed as being the site of the largest single attempt at Colonial settlement in the U.S. The City was officially created in 1887 by adoption of its first charter, which was eventually replaced by the present charter through Chapter 224.08, Special Acts of Florida, 1943.
The Charm of a Small Town
New Smyrna Beach is considered a small town within Volusia County, but it has a charming and quaint atmosphere that its residents enjoy. It was named one of the "Top Small Cities for the Arts," and is home to the Atlantic Center for the Arts and the Little Theater of New Smyrna Beach. On the inland side of the city residents of New Smyrna can visit the historic downtown area along Canal Street. Here, individuals can find plenty of boutique-style shopping, restaurants and the occasional "old time" street side car show.
Visitors and residents can also enjoy New Smyrna on the beachside as well. The main beach outlet is by way of Flagler Avenue, off of the North Causeway. This street also has boutique-style shopping, delis and restaurants (such as the famous Clancy's Cantina) and shops with beach apparel. Many events are also held on Flagler Avenue, such as putt-putt golf crawls, seafood festivals and other food events.
In general, New Smyrna is a town of versatility complete with a multitude of parks and outdoor recreation possibilities. Visitors can enjoy a relaxing day at the Sugar Mill Ruins or on the Cape Canaveral Natural Seashore, located off of South A1A. New Smyrna is also just a short drive to other Florida attractions such as Daytona Beach, Disney World and the Kennedy Space Center.
Beach and Water Safety Tips
The beach in New Smyrna is claimed as one of the most popular sought out beach destinations in Florida and was even voted "Best Beach in Florida," by readers of Florida Monthly Magazine. The city occupies an estimated 7 miles of beach property and about 10 miles of riverfront property. During the sunny summer months, visitors and residents alike will typically make their way down to New Smyrna Beach to enjoy surfing, boating, jet skiing and other water sports.
In order to make your beach experience enjoyable, below are a few beach and water safety tips:
- Always swim directly in front of a lifeguard.
- Obey all speed limit signs, whether driving on the beach or operating a boat/water craft machine.
- Do not disturb the natural wildlife on the beach. This includes leaving sea turtle nesting sites and dune vegetation in tact.
- Don't litter. Cigarette butts, fishing line and other trash can harm the animals and birds along the beach.
- When operating a boat or water craft machine, be aware of your surroundings at all times. Many individuals are injured in boating accidents and jet ski accidents each year. This is often due to operator negligence (such as driving too fast, jumping waves or driving under the influence of alcohol).
- Always wear high SPF sunscreen and other protective wear. Being outside in the sun for more than 30 minutes can result in a sunburn. Be cautious of this; many individuals suffer from skin cancer and other complications from too much exposure to the sun.
Rue & Ziffra Sponsorships & Events in New Smyrna Beach
Below are some of the New Smyrna Beach events and organizations Rue & Ziffra has been proud to sponsor.
Bike Week Tents - Cabbage Patch & Pub 44
For the first week in March 2011, Rue & Ziffra participated as an active vender in the annual Bike Week events. Among various locations around Daytona Beach, Port Orange and New Smyrna Beach, the motorcycle accident attorneys set up a booth at Sopotnick's Cabbage Patch (located off of Tomoka Farms Road) and Pub 44 (located off of state road 44) in New Smyrna.
Our New Smyrna Beach attorneys, staff members and volunteers helped run the tent during the week, where they handed out free Rue & Ziffra goodies such as backpacks and drink coozies. Visitors could also sign up for a chance to win a free Bike Week 2012 stay at an oceanfront resort in Daytona Beach. This year's winner, Daytona resident Karen Serensky, won a 7 day, 6 night stay at the Plaza Ocean Club as well as a $500 gift card to Miller's Custom Parts.
On April 21, the city of New Smyrna organized the 2011 New Smyrna Beach Food Festival! The event took place on Flagler Avenue on the beachside off of the North Causeway. The festival offered food samples from many of the favorite restaurants around the town. Visitors also enjoyed performances from eight bands, beer gardens, venders, crafters and sponsor displays.
On Sunday, January 30, 2010, a crowd of hungry locals gathered together at the Pub 44 fairgrounds to celebrate the 21st Annual New Smyrna Beach Chowder Festival and Contest! The event was held to raise proceeds for the Sheriff's Youth Ranch of Florida, Inc. and was featured by the St. Johns Moose Legion #227 of New Smyrna Beach with various local sponsors such as Rue & Ziffra.
The main attraction consisted of a chowder cook off, allowing visitors to sample a variety of homemade chowders from the area's local restaurants. Each festival attendee was able to taste and vote for the best chowder within different categories, including "Best of the Beach".
The festival also featured live music from The Fabulous Slidells and prize giveaways throughout the afternoon. The atmosphere proved to be "family friendly" as guests of all ages showed up for some food and fun!
The Sheriff's Youth Ranch of Florida, Inc. is a charitable, non-profit organization aimed at providing child care programs for families in need.
New Smyrna School Sponsorships
Because Port Orange is home to many schools, our firm is often called upon to donate gifts and supplies to the community's students. A few school groups we have helped to sponsor and support include:
- Lady Cudas Softball Rue & Ziffra is proud to announce a new partnership with the New Smyrna Beach High School Lady 'Cudas Softball team. Coming off a challenging season in 2010, the Lady 'Cudas are under the guidance of first year coach (2011), Anna Cindric. NSBHS Athletic Director Dr. Jose Fernandez is excited about the upcoming season and Coach Cindric, a former Bethune-Cookman Wildcat softball player.Coach Cindric will be leading a young team on to the field with the Lady Cuda's open on February 8th against Mainland High School. Dr. Fernandez is optimistic that Coach Cindric will have a positive impact on the team, and that she will soon mold them into a serious contender in the Volusia County area.According to Fernandez, athletic programs in Volusia County are entirely self-funded. As a result, sponsorships have crucial importance to high school athletics, covering expenses for necessary equipment and uniforms.
- New Smyrna Beach Barracuda Swim Team Rue & Ziffra is also sponsoring the New Smyrna Beach High School swim team for the 2011 – 2012 school year. In order to help raise funds for the students, our firm plus other businesses around Daytona Beach and New Smyrna have been called upon to become swim team sponsors. Many extracurricular school activities have been hurting because of funding cuts, so students must rely on parent gifts, sales and sponsor donations to keep the team running. Go Barracudas!