If you have been injured in an automobile or motorcycle crash, slip and fall, or on the job, here are some basic steps you can follow:
- For a vehicle crash, stay at the scene and do not admit fault.
- Make sure the crash or incident is reported by the police. No matter how small or minor a crash seems to be, it is imperative that a police report be written. This is to ensure that everyone’s information is recorded properly and that the at fault is party is clearly defined. If you fail to get a police report you could be in violation of your insurance policy and jeopardize your insurance benefits.
- Take photos of your injuries, including a full body shot so that the injury can be traced to you personally, your property that was damaged in the crash or incident and of the accident scene itself if possible.
- Contact your insurance company and report a claim. Your insurance policy requires that a crash be reported within a reasonable amount of time. If you fail to report a crash within a reasonable amount of time, you could be in violation of your insurance policy and jeopardize your insurance benefit. When reporting a claim, you should tell your insurance company that you have been involved in a crash, however DO NOT give too many details or give a recorded statement without the presence of an attorney. Any information you give will be used against you, and some individuals hire an attorney at this time to protect their rights and maximize their benefits.
- Seek medical treatment. If the accident injures you or other passengers and you are advised to go to the emergency room, GO. You may have sustained serious or even life threatening injuries and not even be aware of it. Don’t take a chance. In the event you are not advised to go to the emergency room, you still may have sustained injuries that need a doctor’s care. Call your doctor and be on the lookout for any symptoms (such as headaches, dizziness, disorientation, soreness and infected wounds) that get worse within the next few days after the accident. If symptoms develop seek immediate medical care.
- Contact Rue & Ziffra, P.A. We are here, 24 hours a day 7 days a week to help any person who has suffered from a crash or other legal injustice. Our consultation is free, so don’t take a chance with your rights or insurance benefits.
You can contact us by phone at any time or through live chat during business hours if you have suffered injuries from a personal injury claim or would like more information.